April 22, 2022
goodman-petra.jpg

'When I think of Petra, I think of an unsung hero.

By Joyce Johnson PhD' 82,  RN,  NEA - BC, FAAN

Six years have passed since I joined the faculty in the CSON. Throughout my relatively short tenure, I have had the privilege of working with brilliant colleagues experienced in the fine art of academics. Each faculty and staff member that I have encountered has held the CSON in high regard and demonstrated an unwavering commitment to its excellence in countless ways. I must say, however, that one individual stands out above others – she’s the one who never says “No” to a request, the one who always finds the time and patience to help students and faculty alike. She is the one who, time after time, quietly steps aside so that others can step into the spotlight. 

That person is Dr. Petra Goodman, one of the most revered members of the Conway School of Nursing and the Catholic University of America. 

When I think of Petra, I think of an unsung hero. This is because it wasn’t until the last few years that I understood exactly what work she performed as an Associate Dean. I’ve learned that in her administrative role, she has been asked to do the impossible: lead and advance a robust CSON research agenda, manage the entire CSON battery of scholarship programs, including selecting awardees, tracking scholarship payments, and resolving a myriad of related problems. In addition, she must navigate research grant protocols and constraints and guide faculty and students through the maze of requirements to assure worthy applications for grantor consideration. And, it doesn’t stop there. 

"Petra, we will miss your legendary quiet but strong yet patient demeanor, your delightful sense of humor, and your engaging personality that shines through even in the most challenging situation."

Petra assumes full responsibility for preparing and submitting all faculty tenure and promotion packets assuring that they contain the required documents and succinctly articulate the candidate’s worthy attributes. She conducts and oversees all recruiting, screening, scheduling, and interviewing of all faculty and staff candidates – a time-consuming adventure. On top of this, Petra develops all position descriptions and organizes and drafts all faculty and staff evaluations - and she does all of this while carrying a full course load! If any of us think that an 8-hour workday is sufficient to get this job done, we might well give it more thought. Frankly, I have yet to learn how she has been able to do it all! 

The most amazing attribute for all of us to absorb is that Petra rarely refuses any request; likewise, she rarely offers a serious complaint about the work she shoulders. Instead, she moves forward - an undaunted hidden figure - and immediately addresses whatever challenge awaits, even if it takes long days and nights – weekdays and weekends. It is no small wonder why she might want to step away at this juncture, and the shoes she leaves behind will be most difficult, if not impossible, to fill.

Realizing that all of us are indeed replaceable, I think of what the CSON will lose with Petra’s departure. Perhaps our most significant loss will be her sincere commitment to creating and defining what is in the best interest of the CSON, its faculty, staff, and students. To that end, in recent semesters, I have had the privilege of co-teaching several courses with Petra, and it has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my academic career. With awe, I have marveled at her expertise in supporting students well beyond what is expected and carefully teaching them in courses that she skillfully constructs to enable their sequential learning and achievement; and, if the work they submit falls seriously short, she has shown me how to best offer “tough love” to get them back on track. Her commitment to academic rigor at the doctoral level is unsurpassed – exemplified in her courses and in dissertation development - and I am proud to have had the opportunity to work with her.

In addition, we all know that Petra loves to perform research and excels when engaged in research of any kind. She has helped so many of us construct research grant proposals and has been our link to other related university research sites and functions. As a result, she has earned our deep respect and high regard and that of many other faculty and staff within the CUA community – and they too will miss her.

So, with great sadness, I say goodbye to Petra. In working with her, I have witnessed what it means to be an accomplished professional and academician who promotes, encourages, and advances others above herself. Her entire career reflects her joy in learning, her pleasure in helping students excel, and her unending devotion to the promise of nursing. The Conway School of Nursing celebrates Petra’s contribution today, and we will continue to do so for the many years to come.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Petra, we will miss your legendary quiet but strong yet patient demeanor, your delightful sense of humor, and your engaging personality that shines through even in the most challenging situation.   Your serious interest in advancing academic practice and research in the Conway School of Nursing has enabled our School to excel even during the most difficult and trying times.  We thank you for all you have given to our beloved academic programs – its faculty and students - and the field of nursing. 

For all you have done, we salute you, Petra, and we wish you life’s very best in the years ahead.